Data communications professional with extensive IP-based LAN and WAN network experience, specializing in performance analysis, benchmarking, protocols, troubleshooting and applications. A multifaceted and creative individual with excellent communication skills.
- Data Communications: TCP/IP, IPv6, IP multicast, Ethernet (Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet), One Way Delay Protocol (OWDP), Quality of Service – Committed Access Rate (QoS-CAR), routing protocols (BGP, MBGP, OSPF, IGRP, EIGRP), videoconferencing (DVTS, H.323)
- Hardware: Cisco (7507, CRS-1, IOS, IOS XR), Juniper (M-5, M-7i, T640)
- Programming: PHP, Bash, C, Perl, HTML
- Software and Operating Systems: MySQL, Visio, Dreamweaver, Ethereal, Iperf, Ssmping, Apache2, Pm-wiki, VMWare, Linux (Debian, Fedora Core, SuSe), FreeBSD.
Internet2 (University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development), Ann Arbor, Michigan (formerly of Armonk, New York), 2001 – 2006
Internet Engineer/Network Services Group. Provided engineering support and advanced Internet services for national projects, including Abilene, Internet2’s 10Gbps national backbone network.
- Led technical planning and implementation for 36 highly-rated hands-on advanced networking workshops over 5 years. Specified, acquired, installed, configured and maintained traveling workshop lab of Cisco router, Juniper routers, Digi terminal servers, and Intel-based laptops running Linux. Prepared and presented IPv6 workshop content.
- Configured IP multicast access grid "beacon" environment in a closed environment to support hands-on engineering workshops. Installed and configured beacon clients in infrastructure of eight Linux systems, reporting to a Linux-based beacon server.
- Coordinated demonostration of first North American IPv6 multicast implementation on a production backbone network. Implemented multi-platform and multi-operating system demonstration with five end-points. Installed and configured dBeacon (open-source IPv4/IPv6 multicast network reachability tool), VLC video clients, DVTS (Digital Video Transport System) clients and Microsoft Research Conference XP clients.
- Installed and configured Nagios/Netsaint on Debian Linux system to support accessibility monitoring of network systems.
- Configured and maintained IPv6-enabled
informational web server running Apache
version 2 on a Debian Linux
system. Maintained virtual web servers,
CGI and PHP scripts.
- Prepared responses to optical fiber acquisition RFPs from research and education institutions as a member of FiberCo, an Internet2 LLC that negotiated the sale of more than 10,000 fiber miles and set an aggressively low price point for fiber acquisitions by the research and education community. Required in-depth technical knowledged of long-reach optical fiber characteristics, optical fiber infrastructure designs, and optical fiber network provider support systems.
- Developed a network measurement analysis system using PHP and MySQL. System retrieved
measurement data stored in BML
format, made comparisons of network traffic and presented results on
HTML web pages.
- Evaluated network technology and participated in the deployment of a 10Gbps nationwide backbone network. As a member of the Abilene Next Generation planning team, evaluated network measurement equipment and prepared test plans.
- Provided feedback to developers on open-source network
performance tools (such as iperf,
ssmping and access grid beacon).
- Facilitated IPv6 and IP Multicast working groups.
- Acted as liaison for Internet2 Technical Evaluation Centers (ITECs) 2001 – 2003.
Advanced Network & Services, Armonk, NY, 1996 – 2001
Senior Internet Engineer/Network Measurement Group. Planned and supported a nationwide network measurement infrastructure, provided network analysis and planning for high-performance video applications, and supported research and education wide area network connectivity.
- Tested Quality of Service (QoS) capabilities utilizing Cisco enterprise-class and campus-class routers across a test network at the Internet2 Technology Evaluation Center (ITEC) facilities in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. Co-authored test plan, results document and summary document.
- Contributed to the planning of scope, projects and focus of Internet2 Techology Evaluation Center (ITEC) in North Carolina.
- Executed end-to-end network throughput tests, isolated defects in testing tools, identified campus network problems and documented operating system network limitations and tuning in support of a successful high-bandwidth, multi-site Tele-immersion demonstration headed by virtual reality frontier Jaron Lanier.
- Participated in the design and deployment of an infrastructure (called “Surveyor”) of computer systems. Measured network one-way delay and loss of the Internet among universities and research institutions within the United States and internationally.
- Coordinated, deployed and maintained technical implementation of Advanced Network’s 155-Mbps POS connection to the Abilene/Internet2 research and education network and the “downstream” 45-Mbps connection to the research division of a large computer company.
Member of Technical Staff, Bell Laboratories QUEST, 1995 – 1996.
Network Systems Group Global Provisioning Organization
- Designed and evaluated TCP/IP-based wide area networks.
- Participated in the service definition, planning and architecture of the Bell Laboratories R&D Internet.
- Developed WAN performance metrics and established guidelines for on-going wide area network performance measurement.
- Designed, deployed and tested router security infrastructure for a Cisco router-based international WAN.
- Analyzed and presented recommendations in a global manufacturing software project’s UNIX system, data communications, and office automation environment.
- Led benchmarking and performance tuning efforts for implementations of manufacturing systems based on qad.inc’s MFG/PRO software environment.
- Diagnosed networking problems at a large AT&T factory before the problem impacted a multi-million dollar inventory effort.
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1987 – 1989, Scientific Computer Programmer.
Master of Science, Telecommunications Systems, Computer Science concentration, DePaul University.
Bachelor of Arts, Telecommunications Systems – Radio/TV/Film/Journalism, Purdue University .
- IPv6 and Internet2, IPv6 Summit, Reston, VA, December 2005.
- Deploying IPv6 in the Research and Education Community, USDA IT Summit, Los Angeles, CA, November, 2005.
- Challenges with IPv6 Extended Headers and Network Security, Joint-Techs Workshop, Vancouver, BC, July 2005.
- IPv6 panel discussion, Coalition for IPv6, Reston, VA, May 2005.
- IPv6 and Internet2, IPv6 Summit, Reston, VA, December 2004.
- Surveyor Design and Recent Results, TERENA-NORDUnet Networking Conference 1999, Lund, Sweden, June 1999.
- Automatic Tunnels and Relays, Internet2 IPv6 Hands-On Engineering Workshops presentation.
and Microsoft Windows, Internet2 IPv6 Hands-On Engineering
- Diff-Serv Aware Traffic Engineering Test, co-author of test plan, results and summary documents, Internet2 Technology Evaluation Center, December 2000.
- Implementation Decisions for One Way Delay and Packet Loss Measurement Infrastructures, presented at TERENA-NORDUnet Networking Conference 1999, Lund, Sweden, June 1999.
- Performance Measurement Plan for Enterprise TCP/IP-based Data Networks, AT&T internal document, October 1995.
- Implementing Terminal Servers to Meet Data Communications Needs, AT&T Professional Exchange (APEX) Proceedings in March 1992.
- Development of a Comprehensive Audio-Visual Rental System, Community College Libraries Quarterly, November 1987.